tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 10 00:03:03 2002

Re: Vaj'Hom

>A friend of mine, who has chosen Vaj'Hom as his
>persona name in a Star Trek community service club,
>insists this name means Little Warrior. I insist it
>means trainee or evenwannabe warrior because 'Hom is
>the dimunitive (turns "river" into "brook" and "Wind"
>into "breeze" right?)
>
>Who is correct?

TKD, p.21:
This suffix [-'a'] indicates that what the noun refers to is bigger, more
important, or more powerful than it would be without the suffix....

This [-Hom] is the opposite of the augmentative suffix.  It indicates that
what the noun refers to is smaller, less important, or less powerful than it
would be without the suffix.

So you're both right.  Even though the members of this list tend not to use
the bigger/smaller meanings, they are valid, unless subsequent Okrandian
canon has outlawed them.  Voragh?