tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 06 12:51:28 2002

Re: nuQneH

Welcome to the list.  I am DloraH, currently serving as the list's Beginners'
Gammarian.

> nuQneH

That is spelled with a lower-case q, nuqneH.
nuqneH does not mean "hello".  It means "What do you want?"

> pongwIj stephan.

This sentence needs a verb.  In this case we will use a pronoun-as-"to-be".
/'oH/ is the pronoun "it".  When we use a pronoun as a verb think of it as "it
is".
pongwIj 'oH stephan'e'.
Also when using a pronoun as the verb, you need to tag the subject with the
suffix -'e'.

> tlhIngan Hol ghoj jIH.

The verb needs a prefix.  The subject here is /jIH/ "I"; the object is "it".
If you look at the prefix chart in TKD you find the prefix vI- which means "I
[to] it".
tlhIngan Hol vIghoj jIH.
Because the prefix tells us the subject is "I", the pronoun is optional.
Adding the pronoun emphesises that it is ME and not someone else; or it can be
used to clearify ambiguity.

my site: http://www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro

> HolqoqmeywIj: german, english, french, russian, spanish, esperanto,
> italian

I wish I could speak that many languages.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level