tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 01 10:51:23 2002

Re: cha'DIch KLBC rI'

pablIj'e' lughmoH DloraH'e', 'ach mu'meyvam vIqellI' jIH.
(As for your grammar, DloraH will correct that, but I am addressing these
words).

 > Particular greetings to Vlodnak, who, though his grammar was off (as
pointed > out by DloraH), was more readable to me than the advanced speakers. [

qatlh Vlodnak mu'mey yajlaH chu'wI'?  pabHa'mo'.
Why can beginners understand Vladnak's words?  Because he goes against the
rules.

To a beginning student of French, his classmates are more intelligible than
native French speakers, because they make the same pronunication errors as
the beginner, making sounds that are familiar to the student, as opposed to
French sounds.

If I write Klingon like this sentence, you can understand it easily --
because it's not Klingon, it's English.

If I qon tlhIngan Hol like this, you can yaj it easily -- because it's not
Klingon, it's English with a few Klingon words thrown in.

jIH qonchugh tlhIngan Hol parHa'vam, chaq SoH laH yaj 'oH -- because it's
an almost literal word for word translation of an English sentence.  It
uses all Klingon words and affixes, but it's awful.  I can read it, and I
can write like that because I was a BG for a year and learned to.  I have
to think in English to read it, however.  If I go back and look at it as if
it were a Klignon sentence I had just written it's unintelligible.  "If the
Klingon language composes a monitor ... it likesist, perhaps it understands
it can you."

There is such a thing as clear, correct Klingon easily read by beginners,
and sometimes it's written by beginners.  Beginners who know just a few
rules of making basic sentences, and who follow those rules carefully.

- Qov 'utlh

Back to archive top level