tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 27 18:04:17 2002

the ' character (was: RE: Klingon Siming)

> to be honest i am not sure what the ''' are supposed
> to represent. (this is out of my not knownign)
>
> does anybody have a answer on that.

It is a consonant.  A letter of the alphabet.
It is a glottal stop, the slight catch in the throat between the two
syllables of "uh-oh".

paw - arrive
paw' - collide

paw - the w fades to an end.
paw' - the w comes to an abrupt end by stopping the flow of air in your
throat, but then when you relax the throat again a slight puff comes out.

The abrupt end doesn't mean that you say /paw'/ quickly.  The word can still
be drawn out like other words; it's just that when you do get to the end,
you chop the air flow instead of letting it fade.

paaawwwwww
paaawwwwww'

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level