tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 20 09:53:03 2002

Re: chotwI'/mang

From: "Stephan Schneider" <[email protected]>
> >  > naDevHa' chaHtaH 'ej Hol rapHa'qu' jatlh 'ej Qobqu' 'op chaH.
> >  > (they are so far away and speak a very different language, and some
> >  > of them are very dangerous.)
> >
> >naDev is a noun.  -Ha' is a verb suffix.
>
> jes, but the noun /naDev/ can act like an adverbial, which sometimes
> can take /-Ha/ (like /batlh/). /-Ha/ is a rover, isn't it?

I'm not going to get into the rest of the message; just this part.  We'd
already been discussing /naDev/ and adverbials.

/naDev/ is a noun.  It is not an adverbial.  No matter what /naDev/ does, it
is still a noun, and nouns do not use /-Ha'/.

Someone (you?) gave a definition of "adverbial" that came out to "any word
that modifies the verb as an adverb might," or thereabouts.  That's nice and
all, but that's not what Klingon adverbials are.  In Klingon, the term
"adverbial" is applied to a specific subset of the /chuvmey/ (non-nouns,
non-verbs).

Furthermore, /-Ha'/ is not exactly an adverbial suffix.  Its use on
adverbials is not predictable: not every adverbial can use it.  There was a
discussion recently about a list of every allowed "adverbial-Ha'."  If it's
not on the list, it's not allowed (so far as we know).

Hopqu' chaH 'ej Hol pImqu' lujatlh, 'ej Qobqu' 'op.
"They are very far away and speak a very different language, and some of
them are very dangerous."

SuStel
Stardate 2550.6

Back to archive top level