tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 18 12:39:14 2002

Re: similes

Quvar:
>But I think that some of the others can be confusing, like {qagh rur}. A
>qagh could be alive, hungry, starving, slimy, ugly, tasty, ...(?)

A {ghargh} "worm" could by alive, hungry, starving, slimy, ugly, tasty,
etc. - not {qagh}.

>I would never say {qagh vIrur} without adding {jIghung}

{qagh} is collective noun referring to a type of food (i.e. as a dish or
delicacy).

Okrand goes into detail in KCD on the distinction between {ghargh} - which
refers to serpent worm(s) as animals - and {qagh} which refers to serpent
worms alive but with seasonings and sauce added, served as food, and which
is never pluralized.

>In German, they also have similes with animals, this one would be
>"Bärenhunger", the "hunger of a bear".  Nobody would say "I'm a bear".

That sounds like a metaphor, not a simile, though the terms may be used
differently in German.

Here are extracts from Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary online to
show the difference between the two words in English:

Main Entry: sim·i·le
Pronunciation: 'si-m&-(")lE
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin, comparison, from neuter of similis