tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 17 09:43:30 2002

Re: Hi :) And a question...

[This post isn't marked "KLBC", so I'll play through. <g>]

Beth Baisch wrote:
> >         how might one go about saying "I want to kill myself"?
> >I was all proud of myself thinking I had translated it correctly as
> >"HoH'egh jIneH", but my friend insists that it is "jIHoH'eghqang"

Andrew Strader:
>You could say, jIHoH'egh vIneH.

Andrew's right:

   jIHoH'egh vIneH.
   I want to kill myself.

Your friend's suggestion is:

   jIHoH'eghqang.
   I am willing to kill myself.

Which is not quite the same thing.  You can even combine these:

   jIHoH'eghqang vIneH.
   I want to be willing to kill myself.

This sequence may help:

jIHoH = I kill [no object]
jIHoH'egh = I kill myself
jIHoHqang = I am willing to kill [no object]
jIHoH'eghgang = I am willing to kill myself

jIneH = I want [no object]
vIneH = I want it [i.e. the previous clause]

> >but I am confused... to me the one my friend thinks it is is "I am
> willing to kill myself" >(because the dictionary says -qang is willing).
> If I were WILLING to kill myself I would have >done it already. To do the
> act is a desire, a WANT. So who, if either of us, is correct?

Being willing to kill yourself and wanting to kill yourself are two
different things.  You may be willing to sacrifice your life to save others
in the line of duty or to achieve the mission in combat ... if
necessary.  In other words, you're not afraid to die but you may not be in
any particular hurry to do so.  Wanting to kill yourself, on the other
hand, merely means that you're eager to die or you're suicidal.

Here are three relevant proverbs from "The Klingon Way":

   DujDaj HubtaHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
   To die defending his ship is the hope of every Klingon.

   Qu'Daj ta'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
   To die in the line of duty is the hope of every Klingon.

   wo' toy'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
   To die while serving the Empire is the hope of every Klingon.

Thus one can say that:

   Heghqang Hoch tlhIngan
   Every Klingon is willing to die.

vs.