tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 21:33:53 2002

RE: Hi

> K'Ugar 'oH pongwIj'e'
>
> I'm new in this maillist

Welcome.  As Quvar mentioned, I am DloraH, currently serving as the list's
Beginners' Grammarian.  It's my job to help the newbies.

> a frind of my ask me for the translation of "the killing Sword of
> the North"
>
> so "Sword of the North" i translat with 'evyan

The words should stay separate,  'ev yan.

> bad how cam "the killing" for it??

"The killing Sword".
Would "The Sword which kills", or "The Sword which is killing" work?

HoH - kill

Then look at the suffix chart, find -bogh.

HoHbogh yan  "the sword that kills"
HoHtaHbogh yan  "the sword that is continuously killing"

Now to put it together.
How is the english broken down?
"the [killing sword] of the north", or "the killing [sword of the north]"?

If it is "the sword of the north, which is killing", then:
HoHbogh 'ev yan.

If it is "the killing sword, which happens to be from the north", then:
'ev HoHbogh yan.

But this could also mean "the sword which kills the north"; or "the area to
the north which is killed by the sword".  Literally, these don't make much
sense, but I could see someone using these poetically refering to the
people/civilizations which are in the northern area.  "The sword which
killed (the people of) the north".

When spoken, the inflection and such would help tell which one you mean, but
when written, is this one noun phrase, or is it a noun-noun construction?
We want the noun-noun construction.

DloraH, BG
http://www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro

Back to archive top level