tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 15 08:01:44 2002

Re: adverbs

> >>why "nuq"? what kind of word is a question-word? (maybe... a
> >>"question-word"?)
> >
> >MO labels it as a question word in TKD, so that terminology seems
> >appropriate.  In English, 'questions words' are generally called
> >interrogatives; interrogative pronouns, interrogative adjectives,
> >interrogative adverbs, etc.
>
> so <nuq> isn't an adverb.

If I were to give it a label other than "question-word" I would use "pronoun",
because it goes in place of the noun it's representing.

> >>is <tagha'> an exclamation? i think that an exclamation is like one
> >>frase, it's no adverb. is that right?
> >
> >tagha' is defnitely an adverbial, but:
> >
> >Adverbials sometimes occur alone, functioning more or less as
> >exclamations (TKD, p.57) (This is the last paragraph in section 5.4
> >for those of you who don't use the English version.)
>
> so i can say: <tagha'.> (exclamation) and <tagha' bIghol.> (sentence
> with adverb) right?

Well, your use of tagha' is correct.  The only ghol I know of is a noun.

> >><Dat>
> >><DaHjaj>
> >><naDev>
> >><pa'>
> >
> >These are all classified as nouns, actually.  They're some of those
> >tricky nouns that are not subjects or objects but don't have a Type
> >5 suffix.  We are told explicitly in TKD that /Dat/, /naDev/, and
> >/pa'/ never take a Type 5 suffix (p. 27, sec. 3.3.5).
>
> hm. would there be any difference if these words were be called
> adverbs? it would be easier to remember than that they are nouns that
> cannot take type 5 suffixes.

How would a location (pa, naDev, Dat) be used as an adverb?
naDev yIghoS
naDev is the object of ghoS.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level