tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 23:59:18 2002

Re: Using the new words

lab peHruS

>chay' mu' {tajvaj} lo'lu'?  chay' amount of degrees QIjlaH jatlhwI'?

loQ m/nuvaq Okrand.  mu' vIneHbogh vIDeltaHvIS, mu'mey lI' vIchup.  jIjatlh:

>I have taken a long time from learning of this honour to phrasing my
>request.  It is a great responsibility and has required a lot of
>thought.  I have a hard time asking for *A* word, because I don't know how
>the territory of the concept I need to express is distributed among the
>Klingon words that define it.
>
>The word I am looking for is probably something like "be in an attitude"
>"hold [an aircraft] in an attitude"  "be at an angle with respect to" or
>"be tilted in the direction of", or it may be "axis" or "horizon", or
>something entirely different.
>
>I am a pilot, and a flight instructor.  It is important to me, as I
>imagine it is to Klingon pilots, space vessel designers and tacticians, to
>describe the orientation of a vessel.  We have plenty of Klingon
>vocabulary describing translational motion.  We have yoy, SaS, chong, and
>the frustrating taH to describe positioning of a craft, but something is
>missing before I can clearly describe the situation of a vessel about its
>axes in three-dimensional space, with respect to the horizon or other
>reference plane.
>
>Maltz served as an officer on board a space vessel and so I expect him to
>know the specialized Klingon terminology of what in English are called
>"attitudes and movements."  I suggest that a possible way to elicit this
>vocabulary would be to provide him with a model of a spacecraft, and
>mention the word lolSeHcha.  I can give you a foam rubber Boeing 747 if
>there is concern about your research subject using a toy aircraft as a weapon.
>
>(Please note that the attitude of a vessel is NOT the same as its
>direction of travel.  An aircraft may descend in a nose up attitude,
>maintain straight and level flight in any number of nose up, nose down, or
>even banked attitudes, and a spacecraft with well-positioned thrusters may
>nech, Sal, ghIr, Duv, or HeD without rolling, pitching or yawing in the
>slightest).
>
>Here are some example sentences in English:
>
>"The vessel is in the correct attitude for cruise when it neither climbs
>nor descends."
>
>"If the pilot decreases the power while maintaining that attitude, the
>aircraft will descend."
>
>"A faster airplane must bank more (i.e. maintain a greater bank angle)
>than a slow one in order to turn."
>
>"If the wind direction is not parallel to the aircraft direction, you must
>roll the aircraft into the wind and maintain that attitude.  Do allow the
>aircraft to turn into the wind.  Use your foot to prevent it from
>turning.  Maintain the bank angle while you place the vessel in the
>landing attitude."
>
>If you would like more background information on aircraft axes of movement
>or English terminology, I would delight in (and indeed had to be
>restrained from) providing you with the introductory lesson beginning
>flying students receive on attitudes and movements, before their first
> [...]

numogh /taH/ Sovchu' Okrand, 'ej ghaH HaghmoHlaw' ghu'.  "the frustrating
taH" laDDI' ghaH, vIvaq 'e' Sov 'ej <taH>  QIj ghaH vIneH 'e' Sov je.  vaj
muvaqmeH qoj nuvaqmeH latlh mu' lo'laHbe' nob.  jIHvaD pupchu' <lol>.  jIQuch.

- Qov 'utlh

Back to archive top level