tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 10:46:17 2002

RE: New Words

> qurgh asked:
> > > ghorgh HolQeD ngeHpu' KLI?
>
> KLI = Klingon Language Institute = tlhIngan Hol yejHaD
>
> > > I haven't got mine yet, and I'm guessing it's the mail service, but
> > > when was it sent?
>
> DloraH, BG answered:
> >I got mine tuesday.  I guess some people got it last week.
> >
> >As for the klingon question, because of the -pu', I could answer DaHjaj,
> >because today, the task is completed.  If you want to know what day it
> >was actually sent, then don't use -pu' (or -ta').
>
> No, qurgh is correct.  Sending {ngeH}, delivering {HIj} and receiving {Hev}
> are separate acts even though they can be viewed as part of a
> continuum.  The action of sending the HolQeDs has been completed. Sometime
> in the last two weeks Lawrence has (presumably) delivered all of them to
>
> the post office for them, in turn, to deliver to the subscribers.  The fact
> that qurgh hasn't received his issue yet is irrelevant (at least WRT
> grammar).
>
> We even have an example of this distinction from ST5:
>
>    vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'.
>    That means the Federation will be sending a rescue ship of its own.
>
> Action not completed; in fact, the action hasn't even been started.  The
>
> ship has not been sent  out yet, although the Federation will surely
> send it {ngeHbej} soon.
>
>    nImbuS wejDaq 'ejDo' 'entepray' ngeHlu'pu'.
>    The starship Enterprise has been dispatched to Nimbus III.
>
> Action completed.  The ship has been sent {ngeHlu'pu'}, the Enterprise is
> on its way.  The fact that it hasn't completed its voyage and arrived at
>
> Nimbus III yet is irrelevant.

If qurgh made the *statement*  /HolQeD ngeHpu' KLI/, yes, it would be correct.
But he asked "when".  With -pu' on his "when" question, we can answer with any
day in the past week, because for the past week that task has been completed.
If I answer "yesterday", it is corrct grammaticly, but it doesn't help him.  He
want's to know what day the action DID take place, no -pu'.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level