tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 10:33:56 2002

RE: New Words

qurgh asked:
> > ghorgh HolQeD ngeHpu' KLI?

KLI = Klingon Language Institute = tlhIngan Hol yejHaD

> > I haven't got mine yet, and I'm guessing it's the mail service, but when
> > was it sent?

DloraH, BG answered:
>I got mine tuesday.  I guess some people got it last week.
>
>As for the klingon question, because of the -pu', I could answer DaHjaj,
>because today, the task is completed.  If you want to know what day it was
>actually sent, then don't use -pu' (or -ta').

No, qurgh is correct.  Sending {ngeH}, delivering {HIj} and receiving {Hev}
are separate acts even though they can be viewed as part of a
continuum.  The action of sending the HolQeDs has been completed.  Sometime
in the last two weeks Lawrence has (presumably) delivered all of them to
the post office for them, in turn, to deliver to the subscribers.  The fact
that qurgh hasn't received his issue yet is irrelevant (at least WRT
grammar).

We even have an example of this distinction from ST5:

   vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'.
   That means the Federation will be sending a rescue ship of its own.

Action not completed; in fact, the action hasn't even been started.  The
ship has not been sent  out yet, although the Federation will surely send
it {ngeHbej} soon.

   nImbuS wejDaq 'ejDo' 'entepray' ngeHlu'pu'.
   The starship Enterprise has been dispatched to Nimbus III.

Action completed.  The ship has been sent {ngeHlu'pu'}, the Enterprise is
on its way.  The fact that it hasn't completed its voyage and arrived at
Nimbus III yet is irrelevant.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons