tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 08 04:09:18 2002

Re: Questions and Inflections

lab SuStel:

>From: "Sangqar (Sean Healy)" <[email protected]>
>
>>  I would be interested to know whether there are questions on the
>audiotapes,
>>  and whether the speakers changed their inflection.
>
>There are several questions on the audiotapes, all of them spoken by Marc
>Okrand.  As I recall, he tends not to inflect them specially (that I can
>tell) for questions.  Not even the "question" /pu'HIchwIj Daleghpu'/ (in the
>section of PK about dialects), which is missing its /-'a'/, is inflected in
>any special way that I can hear.  On the other hand, Okrand is not a native
>speaker.  (And I think the real story here is that Okrand was worrying more
>about getting the language right at all, and not rules for inflection.)
>
>We DO hear natively-spoken Klingon in the movies, including questions.
>Kruge asks Valkris something in the form of a statement, /vaj Daleghpu'?/
>(Hmm, another /legh/ . . . .) and inflects it exactly as an English speaker
>would inflect the equivalent question.  Klaa asks Vixis /latlh?/ and also
>inflects it as an English speaker would.  (And, of course, the actors are
>ACTING, and part of that is choosing the inflection for their own words.  I
>doubt there was ever a time during filming where Okrand worried about their
>inflections; he was surely relieved when they managed to say their lines at
>all!)
>
>I've always been curious about Klingon inflection myself.  It'd be great to
>see something about it in HolQeD, but most of the evidence is rather
>suspect.

i remember in star trek vi the one-eyed klingon asks "do you want to
risk that". i don't remember exactly how he pronounced it.
anyway, i hoped for a more reliable source.

p.s.: i found out that this started when i was asked to use "Da"
instead of "bI". it was not a suggestion to use the ?. sorry, Quvar.

sts.

Back to archive top level