tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 05 10:29:45 2002

Re: invention and innovation - tulwI' Hol

>>  > maj. tulwI' Hol bIjatlh'a'.
>>--> Hol Dajatlh'a'?
>
>the question-mark is not neccessary, as the 'a' marks the question, is it?

In Finnish, which forms questions similarly to Klingon (that is, yes/no
questions are indicated by a suffix, although that suffix does not
necessarily have to go on the verb in Finnish, and other questons are formed
by replacing certain elements of the sentence with a question word),
question marks are still included in the written language.  It also seems to
be a list convention to use them.

>does a question in klingon has an other melody than a statement?

I was originally taught that Finnish did not change inflection for
sentences, and for many people, this is true.  However, when I was living
there, I noticed that many people (especially younger people) actually do
change their inflection somewhat.  I would guess that it's not necessary to
change the inflection for a question in Klingon, but that it's not
specifically wrong to do so, either.

I would be interested to know whether there are questions on the audiotapes,
and whether the speakers changed their inflection.