tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 03 18:23:07 2002

RE: RE: word-question

> {"movie"vetlhDaq yoSDaq, yItwI' yep tu'lu'bogh}
> "in an area in that movie, where the careful walker is found"
> (BG: is that correct?)

This is still a fragment sentence; I don't remember how this was being used;
but as far as the /N1-Daq N2-Daq/, yes.

Also, we do have the word "zone"  mIch.

> >but how do you say "in a language"?
> completely different, using a verb like {lo'} "use":
> {tlhIngan Hol lo'lu'DI' wotmey law' tu'lu'}
> "In Klingon there are many verbs"
> (when one uses Klingon language one uses many verbs)

This is true; this is how we usually handle it.  In this particular case I
also came up with a N-N construction.

tlhIngan Hol wot law' tu'lu'
"There are many klingon language verbs."
"There are many verbs of the language of klingons."

> >>e.g. "it is dangerous if you walk in the zone"
> >
> >pa'Daq yItlu'chugh Qob.
> {pa'Daq} is "in the room"
> "there(abouts)" is just {pa'}
> {pa' yItlu'chugh Qob nuq?}
> "if one walks there what is dangerous?"
>
> General question: Can Qob stand alone to say "it is dangerous
> (doing something)", or should we just add a
> noun, like {Qob wanI'} or {Qob ghu'}. Like the canon
> {DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'} "... when there is danger"

If the subject is understood enough to replace it with a pronoun (it), and
then you drop the optional pronoun, you end up with the bare verb.  But most
of us and canon prefer that something be stated, just as the canon you
mentioned.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level