tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 13:44:31 2002

Re: be "something"

Voragh suggested:
> > BTW, you can also use {-choH} "change in state/direction" with such
> > qualities.  E.g.:
> >
> >    yItamchoH
> >    Be quiet! (Become quiet!) TKD
> >
> >    bIboH.  yIjotchoH!
> >    You're impatient. Calm down! KGT

SuStel:
>I've always felt that using /-choH/ on verbs of quality made them into verbs
>of action.  /jot/ is a quality.  /jotchoH/ is an action.

So is {jotmoH} "calm something, cause something to be calm".  I mentioned
it as an option to keep in mind when using qualities in the imperative
which may be more appropriate than (-'eghmoH} depending on the
circumstances.  E.g.:

   yIjot'eghmoH!
   Calm yourself!  Make yourself be calm!

When you talk to the Romulan ambassador take a deep breath, count to ten,
and force yourself to be calm, no matter what he says.  Don't let him
provoke you.  (General advice?)

   yIjotchoH!
   Calm down!  Become calm!

You're hysterical.  Calm down!  ({-choH} focuses on the change of state and
is a nice way of implying that you're *not* calm at the moment.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level