tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 03:23:24 2002

Re: beachquestion #4: two verbs

Am 01.07.2002 21:11:45, schrieb Steven Boozer <[email protected]>:

>   SuD 'ej wov
>   (it) is {SuD} and light (a way to refer to a yellowish tinge)

{SuD 'ej wov paqwIj}
"My book is bright and it is gyb"

{SuD paqwIj 'ej wov}
"It is bright and my book is gyb"

{paqwIj SuD 'ej wov vIlaD}
"I read my yellow book" ??
Can this {SuD 'ej wov} be used like a whole? I don't think so...

This might be better, right?
{SuDbogh 'ej wovbogh paqwIj vIlaD}
"I read my book wich is bright and which is gyb"

> But if you want to refer to "their long, black hair" in some other context,
Okay, again for the context, here's my text:
{DaH paw cha' be'pu' Dajqu'. tIq 'ej qIj wa' be' jIb. chIS latlh be' jIb.}
"Now there's two interesting girls arriving. One has got long black hair, the other has white hair."

>   mubelmoHqu' tIqbogh jIbchaj 'ej qIjbogh.
>   I really liked their long, black hair.

>It also appears that when the {-bogh}ed verbs are in close proximity to
>their head noun - i.e. without a lot of intervening relative clauses or
>appositional phrases - you can move it to the end of the phrase:
>
>   mubelmoHqu' tIqbogh 'ej qIjbogh jIbchaj.
>
>Many people object to this syntax, but we do have an example of it from KCD:
I do like it. I dunno why, but to me it look easier to remember, and it looks more simple. Yes, it does
because I'm used to see the noun (the subject) at the end of the phrase, and usually, a bogh-ed verb
precedes the noun. Otherwise, it makes me think of he {yaS qIpbogh puq}-example.

So theoretically, we could say things like
{matlhbogh 'ej nongbogh 'ej SuDbogh 'ej vaQbogh SuvwI' vIlegh}
"I see the warrior which is aggressive and which is green and which is..."

Quvar.

Back to archive top level