tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 31 13:33:09 2002

Re: Alphabet

ja' SuStel:
>... We
>know very little about their writing system(s).  We don't even know if it's
>an alphabet!  (Marc Okrand seems to think it isn't.)

TKD implies that there's some sort of phonetic system, like an alphabet or
a syllabary.  It says that speakers who pronounce {m} and {b} identically
have to remember how certain words are *spelled*.

TKD is our only source of "documented" information on pIqaD.  We aren't
allowed to infer *anything* from what we see on screen.  Michael Okuda is
very clear on the fact that he never chose the symbols for their meaning.
They're just set dressing.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level