tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 31 12:11:48 2002

Re: KLBC: Klingon distress call (updated)

> > > maH nuHIvtaH jagh. maHegh 'ach DIrIQ. pechol 'ej DaHIv. bortaS chenobHa'.

> > On reflection, I probably should have used some imperative prefixes. . .

> > maH nuHIvtaH jagh. maHegh 'ach DIrIQ. HIchol 'ej tIHIv! bortaS ghonobHa'!

"The enemy is attacking US. We are dead, but we be injured them. [Okay, so if
you are dead, who sent this message, and if you are dead, why does the enemy
continue to attack?] Come closer and attack them! Ungive us revenge!"

It is a good thing to include your English translation in KLBC messages so we
can tell if you are actually saying what you intend to say.

> maj. 'ach cha' mu' vIchoH.
>
> Just so others may be aware, you chose rIQ - injured.
> We also have QIH - Damage; and QID - wound.

Good point.

> rIQ is intransitive, so this would need -moH.  'ach DIrIQmoH.

Another good point.

> QIH might be more appropriate if refering to ships.

Exactly.

> >bortaS ghonobHa'
>
> This implies that they will be taking back what they presumably have given.
> And this brings up the question, what do we do with revenge?  Do we tlhap,
> baj, jon, ta', chav, nob, jab, etc.?

Actually, it sounds like the person making the request is asking the person
receiving the message to take back the revenge that the requestee had
previously given the requester. I'd probably prefer {qa'ma'vaD bortaS
yISuq!} "Acquire revenge for our spirits!" Spirits are considered to be capable
of using language, after all.

> DloraH, BG

charghwI'
'utlh