tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 22 23:59:15 2002

Re: 'e' with a to be verb

ghItlh qurgh:

qurgh is not as far off as you make out, but not for the reason he thinks:

> > Hmm.... if I say 'e' vISov, 'e' is acting as the object, qar'a'?
>  >
>  > If I do DIS QaQ vISov, DIS QaQ is the object and QaQ is acting as an
>  > adjective.
>  >
>  > So why does 'e' become a subject when I use a verb as an adjective on
>  > it?
>
>  But this says "I know a good year".  It doesn't say "I know the year is
>  good".

But, {QaQ DIS 'e' vISov} does mean "I know a good year", being literally
"A year is good. I know this."  So, while his original phrase {'e' QaQ
vISov} is wrong, {QaQ 'e' vISov} is right: "I know that is good", literally
"It
is good. This I know".  The thing is, {'e'} doesn't refer to the subject at
all, but to the verbal phrase {QaQ}.  The subject of {QaQ} is implied,
probably
something like {ghu'} or {wanI'}.  We can say {'eyqu'} "Tasty!" about some
food without needing an expressed subject, and the {QaQ 'e' vISov} phrase
doesn't need it either.  {QaQ!} "That's good!" is a valid sentence all by
itself.
The {'e'} is used as the object of {vISov} to refer to {QaQ} in order to tie
the
two verbs together.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/teresh000