tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 19 17:07:03 2002

RE: Pangram

At 11:51 AM +0100 1/19/02, Nicolau Rodrigues wrote:
> The Great Pangram Contest result (HQv10n4p13) has disappointed me.
> Not just the winner sentence is larger than the ones presented on
> the mailing list,

Were the ones on the list mailed to the contest address?  I know my
entry was not received either; maybe the problem was on their server?

>but even the count is wrong.

Yeah, I was a little surprised that the count wasn't by the Klingon
characters as opposed to ours.

>Patrick Masterson:
>(tlhIngan DuSaQ cha qal ta wIberghvIpmoH jay')
>No consonant is repeated.
>34 letters.
>So Patrick should be the winner.

Well...

At 12:41 PM -0500 1/19/02, TPO wrote:
>I came up with over seven sentences.  This is the one I sent in:
>
>tlhIngan yerDaq ghu chab let Qaw'vIp Saj moH
>
>The popular english example (fox & dog) re-uses 9 letters.  This re-uses 6.
>Only vowels were re-used.

Or, using Nicolau's system:

No consonant is repeated.
32 letters.

Or, better than Patrick's even.

My entry was:

laSvarghHomchajDaq pIwvetlh ngoy' net Qub
"One thinks they are responsible for that odor at their small factory"

One consonant ('v') is repeated.
32 letters.

...but it may not be fully grammatical.  TPO's beats mine anyway for not
repeating a consonant (oh well, at least I still have the Great Klingon
Palindrome Contest victory to console myself with :-).

After looking at the language (though not KGT I realize now) I figured
that the PERFECT pangram would be 31 characters with no repeated consonants;
TPO is just one off from perfect.  Very nice!  I guess I should go look at
KGT and see if it changes my mind about "perfect"...
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    [email protected]    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||