tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 14 23:14:58 2002

Hech (was: Re: SajwIj)

> > HIvqa' veqlargh!  bIlugh.  {paw} vIHech.
>
>I hate to do this to you, but you've just made a common mistake that really
>irks me for some reason (that it's common, not because you did it).
>
>/X vIHech/ means "I meant to X," not "I meant X."  You can't say /<paw>
>vIHech/, but you can say /<paw> jIjatlh 'e' vIHech/.
>
>That "to" in the definition of /Hech/ is all-important.  Don't ignore it.

But I thought that {'e'} acted as an object so that "SENTENCE 'e' VERB" was
analagous to "OBJECT VERB".  Or is {Hech} an exception that can only take
{'e'} or {net} as its object, which Okrand brought to light after TKD?  (Or
maybe it's in TKD and I missed it?)