tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 13 16:11:39 2002

KLBC: Re: Saj von Suq Qa'Hom cha'DIch'e'

>qagh Suqjaj vem'eq 'eq 'ach Saj von Suq Qa'Hom cha'DIch'e'

<snip>

>What I was trying to translate is:
>"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese"

I thought {-jaj} was used to express something the speaker wished would
happen.  I have often seen it used as above, however, and while both can be
translated 'may' in English, I would have said something like:

chaq qagh Suq vem'eq ...

Do we have canon examples which use {-jaj} to express both uses (i.e., 'may'
as in 'might/could/perhaps/maybe' and 'may' as in 'let this thing happen').

I ask because it seems to me that the English sentences 'May the early bird
get the worm' and 'The early bird may get the worm' express very different
ideas.