tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 07 16:49:00 2002

RE: KLBC: adverbials and {'e'}

Sean Healy:
> Something I've been wondering about is how to know whether an adverbial
> refers to the {'e'} sentence or the main sentence.  I thought that nothing
> could go between the {'e'} and the sentence it represents. If this sentence
> is well-formed, then this problem is solved for me.  Does anyone have a
> source showing that adverbials (or indeed anything else) between {'e'} and
> the sentence it represents are kosher?

pagh:
: <'e'> is the object of the second verb. Normally, adverbials, timestamps
: and other similar things precede the object, so the expected place for the
: adverbial <qen> to go would be just *before* the <'e'>. Krankor actually
: wrote one of his first columns on this very topic, and it was something
: of a revelation at the time, but now it's common and accepted usage.
:
: Just to confuse things a bit, Okrand has shown through use (and explanation,
: I believe) that adverbials can *follow* <'e'> and object nouns marked with
: the suffix <-'e'> (e.g. <HaqwI''e' DaH yISam>). He has never, however, said
: such usage is required.

A better example comes from SkyBox card S26:

  DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS
   be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
  The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
   seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the
   Klingon High Council.

AFAIK, this is the only example in canon with an adverbial in the second clause
so we don't know whether placing the adverbial of the second clause after {'e'}
is the rule or a stylistic variation.

charghwI':
}> 'e' lajlu' jatlh 'ej qon Hol chutHom chelnISlu'bogh chupchuqwI' De'
}> 'ej HQ v1n2p11 chup.
}
}Note that it is generally accepted that one prefers {net laj} to {'e' lajlu'}.

}The whole reason the word {net} exists is to avoid {'e' X-lu'}.

... which, of course, doesn't mean that {'e' X-lu'} must be avoided:

  yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu'
  Survival must be earned. TKW

  yay chavlu' 'e' bajnISlu'
  Victory must be earned. TKW