tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 28 09:02:12 2002

RE: yaywIj yIngaq!

> > The first part is good.
> > The second half, "I very much proclaim that days ago are many".
> > To say that you made the announcement many days ago, you need to switch law'
> > and Hu'.
> > law' Hu'  is a sentence, "Days ago are many"; so the 'e' is refering to this
> > previous sentence.
> > For a time stamp you want  Hu' law'  "many days ago".
>
> OK - Would the <'e'>  go before or after <Hu' law'> to correctly
> refer to the first part?  Or ought it to have simply been omitted?
> I was attempting to say that I made the proclamation many days ago,
> and to convey that the proclamation itself was strongly made.

Remember that in Conversational Klingon, we are told that a Klingon may be
inaccurate, but he is NEVER approximate. The proverb says "Four thousand
throats can be slit in one night by a running man." It doesn't say, "A whole
lot of throats can be cut in one night by a running man." While I don't really
care how many days ago you did this if you don't have a specific number, I'd
still rather hear a specific number than {Hu' law'}.

While this construction has appeared on this list many times, and many people
will continue to use it, I'd still recommend that you just make up a number
that is on the same order of magnitude as the real, though unknown, number and
say it was that many days ago. If you make up another number later and they
don't match and someone comes along and whines, "But you said it was X days
ago," then the Klingon response is simple: Weed him out of the gene pool. And
if you are trying to comply with local regulations about not killing people
without having a really good reason, just ignore him like the Glob Fly he
resembles.
..

> > > "'om" came from KGT. It means "to resist, fend off".
> >
> > vIttlhegh is from KGT as well. "proverb" (n).
> > Garrett, do you have KGT (Klingon for the Galactic Traveler)?
>
> Yes, I have KGT.  I was just relying on the web site "new words list"
> instead - mistake.

A Klingonist really needs to make up his or her own word list. Choose either
side of the two word lists in TKD and the word list in KGT and fill in all the
words, then use the New Words List to add in all exceptions (differences
between the English-Klingon and Klingon-English sides of any of these word
lists) and words added outside these two published works. That way, you'll have
all the words in one place AND you will have handled every word in the
vocabulary, so you'll be more aware of what words exist or not in the English
side, and what synonyms to those missing words exist.

> Garrett Michael Hayes

Will

Back to archive top level