tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 11 06:03:16 2002

-di' or -chugh

"may' Qaplu'DI', not nab pablu'chu'; 'ach not may' Qaplu', nabbe'lu'chugh je."

The first part is rendered from "No battle (in history) has ever been won
according to plan," or paraphrasally, "Whenever a battle has been won, the
plan has never been followed exactly."

But how do you express "ever", "sometime", "anytime"? In this case, I'm
trying to contrast several events that happen over a range of times from an
event that happens only hypothetically. This difference is easily expressed
in English by "ever", e.g. "Have you seen him?" (once or a few limited times)
vs. "Have you ever seen him?" (choose from among all past times).

Ok, scratch that. Let me start over. What about this?

not nab pabchu' may' Qapbogh vay''e', 'ach not may' Qapqu' nabbe'bogh je vay'.

Back to archive top level