tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 07 11:22:30 2002

Re: subjects in complex sentences

ghItlh ter'eS:
>In fact, {chargh SuvwI' 'e' ngIl} would to me imply
>a different subject for {ngIl}: "He dares that (some
>other) warrior conquer."

This is cool, Teresh. My interpretation of such sentences is the same as
yours, but I don't know whether it's because it's truly more natural, or
because of my English bias. It's a very interesting problem in any language.

1) chargh 'e' maS SuvwI'.
2) chargh SuvwI' 'e' maS.

My guess is that verbs with like arguments tend to be formally closer
together, that is to say, verbs with the same subject will occur near each
other as one verb-conglomerate unit, and the subject will just be in its
"normal" position in relation to that unit. This is how most languages seem
to work, and Klingon canon follows suit, just as you pointed out.

So I presume it's generally believed that Klingon is not just
English-in-reverse. I always wondered how we should treat sentences of the
following type:

0) The child saw his mother.

If Klingon were just English-in-reverse, you'd say:

1a) SoSDaj leghpu' puq.

But then -Daj would refer to something that hasn't been mentioned yet. The
knee-jerk response is that it's just cataphoric, cf. the literary "Before
his death, the boy crossed the prarie." But my contention was, "Oh come
on,Klingon is not English-in-reverse; the cataphora explanation is just
kludge here," in which case it would be much more natural to say:

1b) SoS leghpu' puqDaj.
lit. "A/The-mother : he-saw-her : her-child.

Many European languages use a different set of pronouns for
differently-scoped references, cf. Icelandic:

2a) Barniđ sá móđir hans.
child-the saw mother his
"The child saw his (someone else's) mother."

2b) Barniđ sá móđir sín.
child-the saw mother his
"The child saw his (own) mother."

The pronoun "sín" in 2b is reflexive and necessarily refers right back to the
subject, whereas "hans" in 2a is non-reflexive and necessarily DOESN'T refer
back to the subject.

Other languages (presumably) have various ways of expressing this
distinction, while some like English leave it ambiguous. What does Klingon
do? If Teresh and company are right, then -Daj in 1a would generally have a
non-reflexive interpretation, as in the Icelandic example 2a. Then reflexives
would only be possible in the object-subject direction anyway, except maybe
where pragmatics forced cataphoric interpretation, as in pu'Daj chu' HoD.

(Btw, forgive my weird numeration scheme; I'd make it better for HolQeD, I
promise.)

Back to archive top level