tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 06 03:26:08 2002

RE: Alphabet

Your like me. Your British, so you say John/Jon with an "o" sound as in
"October" or "octopus". There are some American accents which say
John/Jon with an "a" in it like we say "Khan" or "Palm"... jarn. The
Klingon "a" is very similar to the "ar" noise. jan is pronounced much
more like the British way of saying "a". I get accused all the time by
Americans that I add rs to words that aren't there.

This is something I learned very quickly when I moved to this country. A
lot of the sounds in English are pronounced differently, even from state
to state. Words like "dog", "vehicle", "pen" are pronounced in some
parts of the Midwest (where I have spent most of my time) "dowg",
"vee-hic-cle", "pin". It can get very confusing at times. When you head
north to Wisconsin and Minnesota you start getting long ohs in words,
like "boat" becomes "bohat", "boots" becomes "boohts", "coke" becomes
"cohke". It's very strange to me.

In American English the short "a" sound (as in apple) is much more
common than the long "a" sound (as in father). To show the difference.
In British English we say "pajamas" with the middle "a" be a long "ar"
sound, in American English they tend to say, "pajamas" with all the "a"s
being short "a"s.

I hope this helps explain things. A suggestion would be, if your not
American, or were not taught to speak English by Americans, take texts
(besides TKD) with a pinch of salt. And vice versa. Since coming here I
learned very quickly that American English and British English are much
more  different than it first looks.

'ej toH chutmey vIbIvbe'. tlhIngan Hol mu'mey puS vIghItlh. tlhIngan Hol
Dajatlh DaneHchugh "TKD" yIlo' pagh "CK" "PK" je yI'Ij. tlhIngan Hol
jatlhwI'pu' yItu'. "microphone" vIghaj 'ej "MSN Messanger" Dalo'chugh
SoHvaD jIjatlh.

Back to archive top level