tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 04 03:05:03 2002

Re: A -moH suggestion

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>

> jatlh SuStel:
>
> > I'd like to suggest that /-moH/ shouldn't cause your
> > brain to do backflips when trying to understand it.
> > These two sentences should "feel" the same when
> >  you read them:
[--snipped--]
> There is a bit of a problem if you try to say, "I'll teach
> you Klingon language." It looks like "you" and
> "Klingon language" are both objects of {ghojmoH}. In this
> case, the verb "teach" is "ditransitive", meaning that it
> has two objects, though Klingon doesn't really have a
> place in its grammar for two direct objects. That's when
> it is good to remember that {ghojmoH} is {ghoj} plus {-moH}.
>
> When I teach you, I cause you to learn. I don't cause
>  the Klingon Language to learn. The cleanest, least
> controversial way to say, "I'll teach you Klingon
> language," is to split it up into smaller sentences, like:
>
> qaghojmoH. tlhIngan Hol wIHaD.

Excuse my insanity here but I'm sure it someone said that [noun-'e'] can be
treated as a header noun... IF that's correct it would seem to me to make
sense for a sentence like this to just be
tlhIngan Hol'e' qaghojmoH
I teach you, (as to) Klingon Language

or inan example where O & S are specified

tlhIngan Hol'e'  loDHom  ghojmoH powI'

[--snipped--]

> charghwI'
> 'utlh