tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 10:06:44 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: chu'wI' (n)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, December 15, 2002.
>
>Klingon word:   chu'wI'
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     player (of a musical instrument)

This is, of course, the derived noun of {chu'} "play (a musical instrument)":

   When the context is clearly musical, a "player"--that is, one who plays
a musical
   instrument--is a {chu'wI'}, though more specific terminology may also be
used,
   depending on the instrument being played.  [KGT p.74]

See also {muchwI'} "musician":

   A musician is a {muchwI'} (literally, one who performs music)..."  [KGT 71]

N.B. There are homonyms to keep distinct:

   {chu'wI'} "trigger" - derived from {chu'} "engage, activate (a device),
turn on"

   javmaH tat chu'wI' vIneHbej.
   I definitely want sixty ion triggers. PK

and, as used here on the List:

   *{chu'wI'} "novice, 'newbie', newcomer" - derived from {chu'} "be new".

As always, context is everything.

--
Voragh                            "All the meaning is in the context."
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons           (Ilya Kabakov, Russian artist)

Back to archive top level