tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 09 09:12:47 2002

Re: Language questions

Quvar has excellent advice for you!  I would like to make a note of one,
somewhat iffy, point.

From: "Quvar valer" <[email protected]>
> >4. to spend (time) (e.g. they spent the day doing this)
>
> recast! Say "during the whole day, they were doing this":
>   {qaStaHvIS jaj naQ jagh luSuvtaH}
>   "they spent the whole day fighting the enemy"

A /jaj naQ/ "whole day" is the same as a /naQbogh jaj/ "day which is whole."
/naQ/ "be whole, entire" describes the /jaj/ "day."  It doesn't quantify it.
What is a /naQbe'bogh jaj/ "day which is not whole"?  What kind of day is
that?  One with a solar eclipse?

We have seen evidence that implies you can put /Hoch/ after a noun to
indicate all of that noun.  /Hoch/ is often used as a counting sort of noun.
/jaj Hoch/ would mean "all of the day."  /jaj HochHom/ would mean "almost
all of the day."

(Also note that we have rules stated explicitly by Marc Okrand that shows
that /Hoch X/ means "each X" when X is singular, and "all X's" when X is
plural.)

So we have

qaStaHvIS jaj Hoch jagh luSuvtaH.
They spent the whole day fighting the enemy.

SuStel
Stardate 2939.5

Back to archive top level