tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 13:24:10 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: 'aqroS (n)

In a message dated 12/4/2002 4:05:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

> Am 03.12.2002 19:34:49, schrieb Steven Boozer <[email protected]>:
>
> > the meaning is extended in the BoP Poster:
> >   'aqroS qughDo: pIvlob Hut vI' vagh
> >   Maximum Cruising Speed - Warp 9.5
> >
> >   jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
> >   High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years
> >
> >Is this use of {'aqroS} standard usage or just technical jargon [...] ?
>
> An example for the definition we got from Marc Okrand was "The inside of the top of something. If one were sitting under a table, the (presumably) flat surface above
> one is termed the 'aqroS."
>
> Interesting that in both cases, it precedes the noun it refers to. So this is not the noun-noun construction meaning
> "interior top of the speed", but it literally is "speed of
> the interior top": {'aqroS qughDo}

Huh? I think you're being too restrictive in your interpretation of the N1-N2 construction.  In the
usage that Holtej once termed "genitive", the relationship here isn't simple possession.  Instead,
the N1 noun modifies or restricts the concept of the N2 noun, or, to use set theory, specifies
"the N1 subset of the N2 set".

In other words, {'aqroS qughDo} = "of the set of cruising speeds, the upper-limit one" (you also need
to think more metaphorically about {'aqroS}).

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/teresh_2000

Back to archive top level