tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 16:29:50 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: tuj (n)

In a message dated 12/3/2002 4:11:18 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > >This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, December 1, 2002,,.
> > >
> > >Klingon word:   tuj
> > >Part of Speech: noun
> > >Definition:     heat
> >
> > The noun has never been used in canon.
> >
> > Note the homophonous verb {tuj} "be hot".  Oddly, the opposite quality
> > {bIr} "be cold" does not have a corresponding noun *{bIr} "cold".  (Or
> > Maltz simply forgot to mention it.)
>
> My understanding of physics may be lacking so forgive me but
> maybe there isn't a noun at all for "cold" untold or otherwise.
> Isn't cold a lack of heat i.e.
> heat is something
> cold is a lack of something.
>
> qe'San

That is correct.  In physics, the term "cold" essentially does not exist.  If
an object is described as "cold" it is generally referred to as possessing
less heat than another object.  The heat it contains is generally written out
in the form of Joules in a chemical equation detailing the endothermic or
exothermic reactions.  I.e.: A+B+1000J=C+D ; or A+B=C+D+1000J etc.

-veS joH

Back to archive top level