tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 13:51:58 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: Sam (v)

> >> Klingon word:   Sam
> >> Part of Speech: verb
> >> Definition:     locate, seek and find

Quvar:
> >So this verb includes all these three meanings, to look for something and
> >then find it? (as opposed to {nej} which is only searching)

ghunchu'wI':
>It's only one meaning.  The meaning is "locate", "seek and find".  It can
>probably best be translated as "find" in most cases.  The definition given
>above is not a sequence of three actions.  It's a single action described
>in two ways in order to distinguish {Sam} from {tu'}, which is "discover",
>"find", "notice" without an implication that it's the result of searching;
>and from {nej}, which is just "look for", "seek", "search for" without an
>implication of actually finding what's being sought.
>
>{Sam} is perhaps closer to {ghoch}.

Quvar is right to be confused, as there is a certain amount of overlap in
the meanings of these verbs.  Let's see how Okrand has used them in canon.

{Sam} "locate, seek and find"

   cheng'e' DaH Sam!
   Find Chang. ST6 (clipped)

   HaqwI''e' DaH yISam
   Find the surgeon now! TKD

   Qel vISamnIS
   I need to find a doctor. CK

   motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'
   The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a
    complex target acquisition grid. SP3

   HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el
   To find ale, go into a bar. TKW

   yIvoq 'ach lojmItmey yISam
   Trust, but locate the doors. TKW

   'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej
   When an escaped prisoner looks for a guard, he always finds one. TKW

   romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
   Romulan hunter-killer probe KCD

   chotwI' DaSamjaj
   May you find the murderer. KGT

ghoch  "track, track down"

   qaghochnISlaH... (???)
   I could trace [for you]... ST6 (unclear!)

   ghochwI'
   "The Tracker" (the title of a sculpture in Torghn's house. It is a 3D
    representation of the constellation {ghochwI'}, the constellation in
    the Kahless myth containing the bright star which Boreth orbits.) KCD

{tu'} "discover, find, observe, notice"

   QumwI'wIj vItu'laHbe'
   I can't find my communicator. TKD

[Hmm... I would have expected {Sam} here.]

   Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
   One certainly finds it useful for the mission.
   One will certainly observe that it is useful to the mission. TKD

   lI' 'e' Datu'
   You will find it useful. PK

   reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj
   May you always find a bloodworm in your glass! PK

   QuvlIjDaq yIHmey tu'be'lu'jaj
   May your coordinates be free of tribbles! PK

nej  "look for, seek, search for"

   vInejqa'
   I am resuming the search.
   I am searching for him/her again.

   jagh luHoHmeH jagh lunejtaH
   They are searching for the enemy in order to kill him. TKD

   'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej
   When an escaped prisoner looks for a guard, he always finds one. TKW

   nejwI'
   probe (n.)

   nejwI' tIQ 'oH.
   [It is] A probe of ancient origin. ST5

ghunchu'wI's distinction is a good rule of thumb WRT {tu'} vs. {Sam} and
{nej}.

As to the difference between these last two, it appears that {nej} focuses
on the search itself (i.e. the process of searching), while {Sam} focuses
on actually finding the object of the search (i.e. the successful result).

--
Voragh                            "All the meaning is in the context."
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons           (Ilya Kabakov, Russian artist)

Back to archive top level