tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 27 03:54:22 2002

Re: grammer question

ghItlh vay':
>> Unfortunately, no.  Klingon syntax is fairly rigid.  Adverbials go before
>> the entire OVS string, even if it contains a relative clause.

Qoch SuStel:
>Err . . . he did put /tugh/ before the entire OVS string -- the OVS of
>/Heghbogh loDpu'/.
>
>His noun phrase is /tugh Heghbogh loDpu'/: "men who will soon die."  His
>whole sentence is
>
>lIvan [tugh Heghbogh loDpu'].
>[Men who will soon die] salute you.
>
>I see no problem with this.  We have seen plenty of evidence that Klingon
>treats verbs and sentences as basically the same thing.

I've been thinking about this same problem for a while, but I didn't how to ask. Now I do:
{juHwIj jatlhbogh loD} "the man which talks in my home"

{Sop juHwIj jatlhbogh loD}
  "the man which talks in my home eats"
(sounds correct)

{Sop naDev Qambogh loD}
  "the man which stands here eats"
(sounds not correct. Is the naDev correct here??)

{Sop reH jatlhbogh loD}
  "the man which always talks eats"

I believe this is correct, like SuStel described it.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level