tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 20 11:14:33 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: jev (v)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, August 20, 2002.
>
>Klingon word:   jev
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     storm

Now known to refer to the weather.  At the Farpoint Convention (October
2000), Marc Okrand told Krankor that jev "is a weather term".  Thus it
means "be rainy/windy/thundering" and is probably used similarly to {SIS}
"rain".  (Note: There were storms on the Genesis Planet in ST3, for which
the language was created.)

{jev} has never been used in canon per se, but we do have this story in KGT
(p.122):

   A well-known Klingon myth tells of a man in the ancient city of Quin'lat
   who dies because, during a storm, he remained outside the walls of the
   city in order to show that he was not afraid of the storm and to make
   the storm respect him. Kahless, who was in the city at the time, remarked
   {qoH vuvbe' SuS} ("The wind does not respect a fool"), which has become
   a frequently repeated proverb.

For "storm" in the military sense - i.e. to attack by open force, assault
(e.g. by stormtroopers) - we can use {HIv} "attack, assault" or {weH}
"raid".  Okrand commented WRT to {weH} that it was the "same as {yot}
("invade"), really, but with the added connotation of surprise or speed"
(KGT p.48).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons