tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 19 09:39:47 2002

Re: poH nI'

In a message dated 8/16/2002 4:23:19 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> SuStel:
> >>Actually, you have to say /qaStaHvIS poH nI' jIloStaH/.
> >
> >Not so fast.  I noticed that {loS} is glossed "wait for" not just "wait",
> >which means it can take an object.  The question is: Wait for what?  A
> >person or a time period?  Unfortunately, our two examples from canon do
> not
> >show an object:

> >Although I admit that this is not quite the same thing, but the original
> >poster may well have been right, though s/he should have used the object
> >prefix:
> >
> >   poH nI' vIloStaH.
> >   I was waiting for a long time.

SuStel is absolutely correctly for the idea you are trying to express.  Let's
look at the final "wrong" example.  "I continue waiting for a long time" has
the subject "I" the verb "waiting for" and the object "a long time."  How can
poH nI' (a long time) be a noun and the object of the sentence?  When will
this noun occur?  Obviously that's not what we intended to say in the first
place; we wanted to express that we were waiting and the process took up a
long period of time.  {loS} gets translated as a single verb meaning "waiting
for" even though many English teachers in America call "for" a preposition.
I prefer to think of "for" as part of the verb, an inseparable part.

peHruS

Back to archive top level