tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 18 10:45:23 2002

qul/Hoch (RE: multiple N-ns5 in the "header area")

> >reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS.
>
> maybe i have already asked this... but this sentence seems strange to
> me. i read it as "always - on someone else's face - fire is the
> hottest". i think i can decompose the sentence this way and analise
> only the end: /qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS/. it means "fire is the
> hottest", which means that there is nothing hotter than fire. do you
> know i mean? the whole sentence means "there is nothing hotter than
> fire on someone elses face", which implies that on the own face there
> can be something hotter than fire. this is not the meaning of the
> translation "the fire is always hotter on someone else's face".

I understand what you're saying, and I agree.

Apparently the /Hoch/ is greatly shortened from
... Hoch qabDaq qul ...

But even then I am a little confused.  The fire is hotter on someone else's
face, as opposed to.. my face, your face?  With either of these, why would
we use the word Hoch?  Plus, would the fire feel the hottest when it's on
your own face?

I just use the other phrases available.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level