tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 05 17:20:24 2002

RE: KLBC - multiple noun type 4 suffix & other

> ... I must say that I havent got yet TKD (but it should be
> delivered soon to me).
>
> 1. Can I use mutliple suffixes of the same type? - ej.: juHvamwIj
> -this my house? (btw can I use it in english? - eng is not my
> first language (czech is) and this makes sense to me  - if I have
> more than just 1 house and speaking about THIS ONE only so I
> should use 'this my' - is it correct?)

I understand what you're trying for, but we can't.
Only one of each type is allowed.

> 2. whats the difference between 'e' and net - the definition of
> both in kliflash is "that(previous topic) (pro)". so whats the
> difference. and :) in which case would you use it (i tried to
> think of an example using it to ask you if I understand it right
> but I found nothing)

TKD p66:

  When the verb of the second sentence has a third-person
subject (that is, the pronominal prefix is 0) but the intended
meaning is <one> or <someone,> rather than <he, she, it,> or <they,> {net}
is used instead of {'e'.}

    {qama'pu' DIHoH net Sov} <One knows we kill  prisoners.>

As above, the first sentence here is {qama'pu' DIHoH} <We kill
prisoners.> The second sentence is {net Sov} <One knows that.>
The full construction implies that it is common knowledge
that the group to which the speaker belongs kills prisoners.

    {Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej} <One certainly finds it useful for
                            the mission.>

The first part of this example is {Qu'vaD lI'} <It is useful for the
mission> ({Qu'vaD} <for the mission,> {lI'} <it is useful>). The second
part is {net tu'bej} <One certainly finds that> or <One certainly
observes that.> The full construction might also be translated
<One will certainly observe that it is useful to the mission.> Note
that although the word <will> makes a more flowing translation,
there is nothing in the Klingon sentence indicating future
tense.
<<<

> 3. "Hot" - touch,feel (v)  - feel only in meaning 'I feel your
> hand on my shoulder.' or also in meaning 'I feel we're going to die soon.'

It is only in the physical sense.
raS vIHot  "I touch the table."

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level