tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 23 14:43:26 2002

Re: 'e' vIneH

I have only one thing to add to the responses to this question.  When I say
something like, "Honolulu is the capitol of Hawaii...........  I think," I'm
using essentially the same construction that is being questioned in Klingon.
"I think" is a complete sentence, but it's such a non sequitur as such, and
so common as something referring back to the previous thought, that no one
has any problem understanding it.

Maybe to someone just learning English, it would sound weird.  This use of "I
think" is an exception to English grammar too, breaking normal word order.
Yet, to native speakers, it sounds completely natural.

-Sengval

Back to archive top level