tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 18 22:02:37 2002

RE: "indefinite subject" and "passive voice"

> I heard someone say that if the object of a sentence habitually
> comes first
> in a language, then all the verbs must be passive, because logically, the
> subject should come first. The example which was cited was the sentence
>
> puq legh yaS
>
> which was translated as "The child is-seen-by the soldier".

The first thing that came to my mind is that you're still thinking in
English.  At first I thought klingon was simply -backwards- and had to think
like the sentence above.  Now I find myself many times rearranging my
english sentences into klingon order when I'm not dealing with klingon...
and not saying things like "is-seen-by".

Logical?  I have to deal with illogical humans everyday.  Because humans are
illogical, maybe their view of "logical" word order is... illogical.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level