tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 17 12:33:48 2002

Re: to' nech, 051-061

Sean Burke wrote:
>> > K: yI'uchchu'!
>> > Gloss: Grab it!
>>How about:
>>nom yIwoH!
>
>Yes, woH is much better.  And the more I think about it, 'uchchu' makes me
>think of what you do to a rope in a game of tug-of-war, instead of just
>reaching out and grabbing something to get the feel of it.

{'uchchoH} "take hold of, grab hold, seize" fits your explanation
better.  {'uchchoH}, hasn't been glossed by Okrand, but he used it once:

   wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj
   The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade. TKW

See the difference with {'uch} "hold, grasp" (KGT):

   mupwI' yI'uchtaH
   Keep holding the hammer! TKW

{woH} "pick up" has been used twice for picking something up off the ground:

   yIwoH!
   [Pick him up! (untranslated)] ST6

   teplIj yIwoH 'ej pa'lIjDaq yIjaH!
   Pick up your baggage and go to your room. CK

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level