tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 11:35:06 2002

Re: ba'

From: <[email protected]>
> While we all know that Klingon is not the same as any Terran language and
may
> not have the same grammar terms applied to it, the term Aorist comes to
mind.
>  I see verbs unmarked by aspect as being rather "general."

Not knowing what "aorist" meant, I looked it up.

"type of verb in classical Greek:  a verb tense used to express a past
action in an unqualified way, without specifying whether that action was
repeated, continuing, or completed or how long it lasted, found especially
in classical Greek"  --dictionary.msn.com

This certainly seems to describe Klingon verbs without Type 7 suffixes,
except that the Klingon verbs aren't in the past tense.  Basically, "aorist"
seems to mean "aspectless past tense," something which Klingon doesn't have,
but I agree that it's worth being aware of.

SuStel
Stardate 2290.6

Back to archive top level