tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 05:40:28 2002

Re: to' nech, 034: {'Iw yISo'}

At 05:20 2002-04-16 +0000, marien danzig wrote:
>From: "Sean M. Burke" <[email protected]>:
>>K: 'Iw yISo'.
>>Gloss: Conceal the blood.
>>Eno/Schmidt: Do the washing up
>I don't know what it is, but these don't say quite the same thing to
>me.  At the very least, the gloss doesn't suit the narrower context of the
>OS reference; I wouldn't use "Do the washing up" as an aphorism when i
>wanted to convey "Conceal the blood" (and vice versa), and I'm sure I'm
>not alone.

Well, I'm inferring things about the experiential role of these each of
these talks, in each culture.  While I think of food as clearly very
important to Klingons, I don't think they'd consider doing the dishes too
relaxing or interesting.  No standing in front of the kitchen sink with
your hands in warm soapy water, listening to the radio -- I picture
Klingons doing the dishes by taking all the gristle- and qagh-encrusted
plates, throwing them into a wire rack (and I mean /throwing/), putting
that into a sandblaster machine, and then blasting them it with fire and/or
radiation.  It's fast work, and for slaves.

Conversely, imagine the experience of having to clean up a place after a
good vicious fight.  Blood and viscera all over the no' DIrmey and the
tables and benches and everything!  You can try to scrub it out, but a
warrior does not use stain-remover!  So just try to cover some of it up or
something.  Of course, you will never succeed at really hiding all the
blood, but to not try to conceal some of it would be /ostentatious/.

--
Sean M. Burke    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/

Back to archive top level