tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 30 14:13:52 2001

RE: [KLBC] never bet on Star Trek trivia...

>    Never bet on Star Trek trivia if your opponent speaks Klingon.
>    - Ancient Kung Foole Proverb
>    tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaHchugh ghollI' Hov leng ngoDHommey'e' yISuDQo'qu'

The first half is good.
When I read the definition of SuD, I don't see it taking an object.
Perhaps:  Hov leng ngoDHommey SovlIj toblu'taHvIS  yISuDQo'.
"Don't gamble while one tests your knowledge of Star Trek trivia."

You can place this after the "if" -
tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaHchugh ghollI', Hov leng ngoDHommey SovlIj toblu'taHvIS,
yISuDQo'.

Or you can swap the "if" and "while" -
Hov leng ngoDHommey SovlIj toblu'taHvIS, tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaHchugh ghollI',
yISuDQo'.

> nIDghachwIj:

Instead of trying to turn this nice verb into a noun, lets use it as a verb.
jInID:

> Can ((-qu')) go after ((-Qo')) like that?

TKD p49 shows multiple rovers on a verb.  To ME the sentence is
understandable; BUT on p47 "Unlike -be', the position of -Qo' does not
change: it occurs last, unless followed by a Type 9 suffix."  Does this mean
other rovers can't go after it, or just other Type #?

> If not, how is ((not)) used in a negative imperative sentence?

[not] is an adverbial and is placed at the beginning of the sentence.

> I originally put in ((vaj)) just after ((ghollI')), to separate it from
the
> ((Hov leng ngoDHommey)), but on second thoughts I guess the other reading
> is just as good, so I changed it back to the ambiguous form...

Okrand has used punctuation, so why can't we?  Put a comma in there.  We
would pause there if we spoke the sentence, so put a pause in there when you
write it.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level