tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 14 22:25:00 2001

RE: KLBC: noH

naQSej said:

	ngeD yay 'e' yIpIHQo'. jaghra' yInoHHa'Qo'.
	poSDI' mInDu'Daj qachmeyDaq puv chaH.  nuch chaH'a'?  (chaq nuch 'oH
la'
	chaj.)

	Don't expect victory will be easy.  Don't misjudge your enemy.  They
flew at
	the buildings with their eyes open.  Were they cowards?  (Perhaps
their
	commander is.)

Your third sentence here says {mInDu'Daj} - this would be "his/her eyes".
You want the noun suffix {-chaj} ("their") instead of {-Daj}.

Instead of saying:
"As soon as their eyes were open, they flew at the buildings"
try using {-taHvIS} and say:
"While their eyes were open, they flew at the buildings."
(The first version sounds like they're waiting to open their eyes, and then
crash.)

Two comments on your last sentence here - the commander would be a "he/she"
and not "it", so you want {ghaH} instead of {'oH}.
When using a "pronoun as to be" sentence like this, the last noun needs to
have the noun suffix {-'e'} added to it. For example:
{X ghaH Y'e'} "The Y is a X"
So your last sentence should be:
{chaq nuch ghaH la'chaj'e'} "Perhaps their commander is a coward."
Although the English version leaves out "coward" for the last sentence, you
correctly included it in the Klingon version. maj.

	jaghchaj laHmey vuv la' val.  vaj Qapchu'.  "not qoHpu'e' neH
ghIjlu'" net
	ja'lu'

	A wise commander respects the abilities of his enemy.  Thus
	he succeeds.  It is said "Only fools have no fear".

For the first sentence here, it looks like you mixed up {-Daj} and {-chaj}
again. I think you want to say {jaghDaj} ("His enemy").
To help remember these suffixes, remember that {chaH} is "they", and {-chaj}
is "their". They start with the same sound, and if something belongs to
{chaH}, then you can use {-chaj} to describe it.

For the last part, in {net ja'lu'}, it is redundant to have both {net} and
{-lu'}. You can just say {ja'lu'} ("It is told/One tells").

	charghchugh Sepmey DivI', vumqu'nIS.  Sacharghjaj. Heghbe'jaj latlh
nuvpu'
	chun.  'ach cha lughaj, vaj ...

	For the US to succeed
	will require a great effort.  May they succeed.  May no more
innocent people
	die.  But they have missiles, so ...

For your first sentence here, rather than using {-chugh} ("if"), I'd suggest
using the suffix {-meH} ("in order to").
Rather than saying:
"If the U.S. conquers, it needs to work hard."
you want to say:
"In order for the U.S. to conquer, it needs to work hard."

The prefix {Sa-} means "I (do something to) you (plural)". So {Sacharghjaj}
would be "May I conquer you guys." Unless you're talking directly to the
terrorists, you probably would want to use the prefix {DI-}, which is "We
(do something to) them". So you could say:
{DIcharghjaj} "May we conquer them."

Also, your last sentence here is rather good. Since {cha} ("torpedoes") is
actually an "it", you correctly used the prefix {lu-} to say "They have it."
majQa'.

	underestimate?  noHHa'?  chovHa'? That could be a misjudgement in
any
	direction.  jagh DotlhHey puj law', jagh Dotlhna' puj puS 'e' Qub.
Takes an
	awful long time to say.

There are 2 idioms that are mentioned on page 125 of KGT:
{bo'Dagh'a' lo'} is literally "use a large scoop", but means "exaggerate".
(The word {lach} also means "exaggerate".)
{bo'DaghHom lo'} is literally "use a small scoop", but means "minimize the
importance of something" (the opposite of exaggerate).
So to express the idea of "underestimating something", I would probably say
something such as:
{bInoHHa'. bo'DaghHom Dalo'.} "You misjudged. You minimized the importance
of something."
This is literally "You misjudged. You used a small scoop."

A general comment on your message here - it looks like you're typing ' and '
for the Klingon letter '. (It might be your computer automatically trying to
make curly quotes.)  Some people might get confused, since you're writing
words such as {'e'} with two different symbols; it should be spelled {'e'},
so that the first letter and last letter are the same.

- taD

Back to archive top level