tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 09 23:40:13 2001

Re: TKD

The KLI is better than that. You got unencrypted transfer, or you got FULL
2048 bit encryption, using PGP (pretty good privacy), or it's equivalent,
GPG (GNU Privacy Guard). I find it a lot more secure and reassuring. It's
no secure server stuff. External program whose code has been peer-reviewed
many, many times.

Technically, it's encrypted using your end, you paste in the encrypted
text, and it's sent exactly like that and has to be manually decoded (not
stored in database, etc). The only way to steal that number would be to
physically rob the KLI (and there are many easier ways of getting credit
card numbers - restaurants, stores, etc).

Anyhow, those web sites were hacked because the operators were stupid
enough to keep credit card numbers around (yes - always watch out when a
site wants to store your credit card number, like amazon.com, etc).