tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 05 13:20:13 2001

Re: Shakespeare

ro'Han wrote:
: While at the KLI reading the "Hamlet" page, I had an idea: I belong to the
: ancient Egyptian language mailing list, which often attempts, as a group
: exercise, to translate ancient Egyptian documents into English. I was
: wondering whether any of the list members would want, again as part of a
: group, to attempt such a translation, but from English to Klingon; maybe
: one of Shakespeare's plays, or something shorter perhaps?

There have been several such attempts.  In fact, I myself started to translate
"Julius Caesar" - a play with the very Klingon themes of political ambition,
betrayals, and civil war - but, alas!, lost all my work after a hard disk
crash.  One group - the Klingon Shakespeare Restoration Project - is sponsored
by the Klingon Language Institute
(/stuff/projects.html#KSRP).  I quote:

  KLINGON SHAKESPEARE RESTORATION PROJECT
  Taking its cue from Star Trek VI, the KSRP has as its goal the
  restoration of the complete works of Shakespeare to the "original
  Klingon." One of the KLI's proudest accomplishments was the
  publication of "Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (The Restored Klingon
  Version)" in March 1996, with a paperback version from Pocket Books
  in 2000. We hope to publish translations of "Much Ado About Nothing"
  and "Macbeth" in the future; these translations are already in
  progress.  To find out how you can help others to experience the
  Bard in his native language send a SASE to:

  Klingon Shakespeare Restoration Project
  P.O. Pox 634
  Flourtown, PA 19031-0634 USA
  e-mail: [email protected]

You might start by contacting them and join one of their translation teams.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons