tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 31 23:40:26 2001

Re: onomatopeia

>Many Klingon words are onomatopeia.  Here are some:

I don't want onomatopoetic words, but onomatopeia that aren't valid words,
like 'ha,ha,ha' in English, or 'meow' for the sound a cat makes (except that
we've kind of adopted that one - and most other animal noises as well - into
English as a valid verb).

>/Hagh/ is "laugh," which should do the trick.  Are you saying you only want
>a noun?  There is no known noun in Klingon for "laughter."  Can't a verb do
>the job?

If {Hagh} is all there is, it'll do fine.  It's just that stylistically, I
want to get the same sense as the English 'ha,ha,ha', rather than the
English 'he laughed'.  I don't want the noun 'laughter', I want the
onomatopoetic representation of laughter.  But if we don't know it, we don't
know it.

In English we can say something like 'The monkey said, 'Ooh-ooh-ah-ah', but
I guess in Klingon we'd have to say 'The targ made a targ noise'.