tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 28 04:17:29 2001

Loose canon

Voragh:
>> As used in canon:
>>   Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'
>>   I find no match for what you have just said. KCD

ghunchu'wI':
> This example fits the "canon" category rather badly, I think. As I

Your definition, perhaps; not mine.  By me, canon includes *ALL* legitimate
tlhIngan Hol produced by Marc Okrand in any format and distributed in any
form:  movie dialogue; published books or audiotapes; words or phrases in other
authors' novels or stories; posts and emails; interviews with the press;
discussions with friends and fans; his notes (e.g. the unfilmed Klingon
dialogue from ST5, which was recently published in HolQeD); articles in HolQeD
or any other fan publication; sound files distributed with
officially-sanctioned software; etc.  Whether it's widely available or not, or
even largely unknown, is not the point.

> understand it, the Klingon phrase is just a sound file on the disk,
> and never actually appears when one uses the software.

So?  It's canonical Klingon if Okrand wrote it, spoke it or approved it as long
as it wasn't a careless mistake, which he's been known to make (and correct) on
occasion.  Has Okrand recanted this sound file?

Whether the game programmers decided to actually use this particular .wav file
in the game and carelessly left it on the CD is irrelevant.  Okrand provided it
to the licensed manufacturer, who distributed (published) it on the CD.

SuStel:
: By the way, the file is \wav\3k.wav on CD #3.  The correct line is
: /Dajatlhbogh vIyajlaHbe'. yIjatlhqa'!/ The file \wav\3e.wav on the same CD
: is "I find no match for what you just said. Please say it again." However,

Now this is a relevant criticism... that I've recorded the line incorrectly in
my notes: I omitted {-laH}.

(BTW due to hardware problems I've never actually played KCD, so I'm entirely
dependant on what others tell me is on it.)

: all of Okrand's "I didn't understand you" messages are extremely loosely
: translated.

The best translations are often the loosest.  Besides, we know this is an
inexact translation:  No Klingon would ever say "please"!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level